FR / EN / PO

Chronology

3900-3450 B.C.

First Chamblandes style tomb found at Dzardis in Villette [Annuaire de la société suisse de préhistoire et d’archéologie, 70, 1987]

End of Il B.C.

Estimated date of two "Valaisan" bronze rings found, as well as fragment of glass bracelet from the 1st Century, part of funerary artefacts in a tomb discovered in 1946 between Le Châble and Bruson.

Roman Era - Epoque romaine - Dark Ages

A man named "Bannius" is a landowner in the Châble region. He gives his name to the village and vallee of Bagnes. [Casanova]

A little before 878

Creation of the role of Provost. Bagnes belongs to parish of Saint-Maurice [Hausmann]

1012

First document certifiying the existence of pastures in the valley: the Mille mountain [AEV, Philippe de Torrenté, A.T.L. 32, N° 1]

Between 1092 and 1103

Humbert II, Count of Savoy, comte de Savoie, takes the provostship in favour of Aimon de Briançon. [Hausmann]

1143

Count Amédée III restores the provostship to the Saint-Maurice Abbey. This provostship includes rights and revenues of Bagnes and Etiez [AASM, 1/2/2 et Hausmann] 1

Between 1148 and 1150

Amédée, Bishop of Lausanne, informs Count Humbert III that Reynald, his uncle, has taken the Provostship and its lands, which had been pledged by Humbert's father, Amédée III [AASM, copie dans Liber vallis de: Bagnes, fol. 6]

1150

End of "droit de gîte" in Bagnes and Etiez for Humbert III, count of Savoy, in favour of the Abbey. It is given by Amédée III, Humbert's father, in return for a "table of gold", made of precious stones, in order to finance his journey to the Crusades where he loses his life. The young Count Humbert III must repay his father's debt. [AASM, 8/1/1 et AASM 8/1/2]

between 1150 and 1173

Humbert III, is unable to pay the debt and must pledge all his rights to Bagnes and Etiez, up to Sembrancher bridge to the Saint-Maurice Abbey for 1000 Sous. [AASM, 8/1/3]

1179

The Bagnes and Vollèges churchers are named by Pope Alexander III as possessions of the Saint-Maurice Abbey. [AASM, 8/1/9]

1198

Disputes between Count Thomas I and abbot Gunther of Saint-Maurice concerning respective rights to the Bagnes Valley. [AASM, 8/1/4]

1207

Aymon I de la Tour pledges his vidomnat to the Abbey to the Abbey (from Sembrancher bridge to the far border of Bagnes. [AASM, 9/1/1]

1219

Thomas I and the abbet Aimon settles their differences concerning taxation and other feudal rights in the valley. The House of Savoy keeps sovereignty and feudal superiority over the valley. The Abbey has use of the territory [AASM, 8/1/5]

1273

Sale of a Bagnes vineyard to the Saint-Maurice abbot (first proof of viticulture in the valley). [AASM, Minutarium Majus, 27]

1282

Foundation of the Notre-Dame-de-la-Compassion chapel, next to the Bagnes church, by Pierre de Bagnes, priest. [AASM, 74/2/1 et ACS, 199-02]

1287

Count Amédée V orders his soldiers to give up Verbier castle, occupied since around 1260, to the abbot. [AASM, 8/1/7]

1293

Nicolas de Bagnes, canon and chanoine et châtelain capitulaire of Valère castle, gifts the Saint Jacques altar to the Sion Cathedral. [ACS, 73/6]

1296

Lyonnette, widow of Jean de Monthey, pays tribute to the abbot of half of the territory, a tribute in place until the 16th Century [AASM, 9/3/5]

1313

List of those liable for special tax levied by Count Amédée V. Vollèges parish: 115 feux; Bagnes parish: 355 feux; Le Châble region: 76; Fontenelle, La Gruneya, Les Verneys: 15; Médières: 18; Verbier, Le Bri: 4l; Le Pontet: 3; Montagnier: 28; Le Sapey: 4; Le Désert: 10; Bruson: 12; Versegères, Prarreyer, Le Liapay : 32;Champsec : 35 ; Fregnoley: 15; Lourtier: 31; Sarreyer: 28; à L’Escherchy: 7. Dubuis]

1320

Permit to mine for gold and silver in Bagnes Valley and Vollèges parish give to Jean de Monthey by Abbot Barthélémy for twenty years [AASM, 10/2/1]

1349

The Black Plague hits Valais. Around 40% of the population is killed. [Dubuis]

1410

Abbot Jean Garetti dies in Le Châble castle, which he had rebuilt and turned into abbotal residence. Gabbud]

Vers 1430

First witch hunt in the region. 2 victims in Le Levron. [AASM, 10/1/5]

1445

Le Châble church named after Saint-Maurice. [Dubuis- Lugon, Vallesia, 50, 1995, p. 16]

1453-1458

Second Bagnes valley witch-hunt. [AASM, documents non cotés]

1462

5. 05. - Execution de François de la Tour, lord of Montagnier, for heretical recidivism, 3 years after accusations of sorcery. HIs fiefdom is bought by the Abbey. [AASM, 10/1/10, 11]

1469

High rainfall hits the Bagnes valley and Entremont. All bridges over the Dranse are carried away and Martigny Bourg is flooded. [AEV, Rz 18, p. 662]

1475-1476

The abbotal castle of Le Châble is ransacked by a popular movement and the troops of the VII Dizains which cross over from Croix-de-Coeur and Saint-Christophe and occupy the valley. [AASM, 8/2/1]

1480

Pope Sixte IV defends the rights of the Abbey. The bishop of Sion is obliged to return the lordship to the Abbey. [AASM, 8/2/7]

1488

Abbot Guillaume Bernardi gives two Bernese lords, Steiger et Loeubly, rights to all the lead-platinum mines above Bruson [AASM, Liber Salvani, fol. 124]

Date carved into the clock of Le Châble church, at the bottom of the North face. [Gard, 1982]

1494

The Bishop of Sion, Jodoc de Silinen, names his nephew, Gaspard de Silinen governor and judge of mines [AEV, Xavier de Riedmatten, Pg 6].

1499

Beginning of the legal case between the VII Dizains and the Bishop of Bern which will last more than 20 years. Mathieu Schiner has just been elected bishop and names the possession of the Bagnes mines as one of his privileges. This is disputed by the VII Dizains and Georges Supersaxo. [AEV, ABS, 100/28 ou WLA, I, p. 3, 23]

1501

First depiction of the Bagnes arms on a thaler (coin) of Mathieur Schiner. [Genève, Musée d’art et d’histoire, inv. NUM 31124]

1517

Violent clashes between Aostans and Bagnards at Lancet, following a dispute of the Durand mountain. More fighting takes place at Grande Charmontane in 1537, 1539 et 1557. [ACBg, P40]

1576

Despite defending their cause before Charles-Quint and the Holy See, the Aostans definitively lose the Durand mountain to Bagnes. [ACBg, Pl60]

1595

First recorded glacial flood of the Giètroz, with between 70 and 150 deaths as far as Martigny. [AGSB 3439l

XVIIe siècle

A prosperous period for the parish. Foundation or renovation of all the chapels: Sarreyer: 1646, Bruson: 1656, Les Morgnes: 1659, Les Vernays: 1660, Médières: 1679, Champsec et Versegères: 1684 and Verbier: 1686. [Gard, 1982]

1615-1620

Witch-hunts return to the Bagnes Valley. [AEV, ABS 245/5/30]

1620

BIshop Hildebrand Jost ensures mining operations resume in Bagnes. [AEV, Xavier de Riedmatten, P98/1, N° 28]

1623

Many deaths due to dysentry. [Bourban]

1629-1631

Many deaths due to an outbreak of plague. [Gabbud]

1630

Bishop Hildebrand Jost, returns from Rome via the Great St Bernard Pass, is locked in the Etiez castle by Lord Fabri, franc-patriote, who obtains from the Sion bishop the renunciation of the "Caroline", the temporal power of the bishops. This is definitively ratified in 1634 [Gabbud; Courthion]

1642

 Le Châble church is flooded by the Bruson torrent. Bridel]

Vers 1669

Witch-hunt in the Bagnes Valley. [.Annales valaisannes, 1921]

1681

Witch-craft recorded in Sarreyer. [AEV, ABS 1/41, 42]

1682

The Diète claims that sentences proclaimed by the Grand Chatelain should be appealed before the State rather than the Abbot. [Armorial valaisan]

1686

Abbot Pierre-François Odet refuses to accept a stipulation of the Diète obliging the Abbotal chatelain of Bagnes to swear an oath to the bishop of Sion [AASM, 15/1/14]

1730

The last two Bagnards to be burned for witchcraft are Pierre Terretaz from Sembrancher and Jeanne-Françoise Aubert from Bovernier. [Graven]

1745

Rebellion against the abbot Jean-Joseph Claret in Bagnes. The prelate is forced to renounce his rights. Returning to Saint-Maurice he annuls his renounciation. A State Commission sides with him and local notables and sentences the guilty party to kneel before the abbot, pay reparations and the costs of the litigation, with the leader of the plot being sent into exile. [AASM, inv. Charles]

1753

The village of Morgnes was destroyed by an avalanche. [Gabbud]

1766

Father Héliodore Bourgoz, capuchin of Bruson, creates the Great School or Bagnes college. [Deslarzes-May]

1781

Voyage of Horace-Benedict de Saussure across the Bagnes valley. [Ms Saussure 15/8, BPU, Genève]

1787

First known work of portraitist Félix Cortey. [Gard, 1979]

1795

Accidental death of abbot Joseph-Antoine Cocatrix, returning to take possession of the lordship of Bagnes, in La Monneia, near Sembrancher. [Armorial valaisan; Gabbud; Courthion]

1798

11. 05. - A thousand Upper-Valaisains, fighting against the National Government, enter Bagnes via Croix-de-Coeur, with 800 men who join the invaders and descend with them to Sembrancher. [Gabbud]

1799

4-5. 05. - A new invasion of Upper-Valaisans via Croix-de-Coeur, to repulse the representatives of the Directoire towards Martigny. They receive a warm welcome from the inhabitants. [Gabbud]

1802

 Parliamentarians from Entremont join the first Diète of the Rhodanian Republic. [Gabbud]

1804

Apricot producers flourish in January in Bagnes. [Gabbud, d’après la Chronique P.-J. Jacquemain]

1807

Agreement between the Abbey and the Valley to buy the last fiefdoms and tithes. Armorial valaisan; Gabbud]

1814

Construction of the community stable of the Louvie pasture. [Val de Bagnes]

1817

Food shortages in Bagnes following difficulties the previous year[Gabbud]

1818

The Gietro flood, caused by the break-up of the glacier of the same name, causes the formation of a lake behind the ice. This collapses on the 16th of June at 16:30 and causes the death of 34 people. [Gard, 1988]

1822

Major fire in Versegères. [Courrier du Valais, 20. 08. 1854]

1828

Construction of the Mauvoisin bridge. [Carron]

1836

First known work of portraitist Joseph Brouchoud. [Gard, 1984]

1837

Establishment of a linen factory in Montagnier. [Gabbud] (1839 selon AnneTroillet Boven)

1842

Construction of a new bridge in La Villette. [Gabbud]

1843-1855

New attempts to begin lead-platinum mining in the Peiloz forest above the village of Bruson. [Werner Bellwald, Notes personnelles]

1844

20.05 - Fighting in the Corberayes fields between the Jeunes Suisses of Bagnes and supporters of the Vieille-Suisse leaves four dead. [Pilliez]

1855

The Bruson torrent breaks its banks, devastating the Profray countryside. [Gazette du Valais, 1855, 26, p. l, 2]

1856

Typhoid fever epidemic leads to large number of deaths in the villages of Le Châble and La Villette. [Gabbud]

First recording of the commercial use of the Perrodin Hotel in Le Châble by Pierre-Joseph Perrodin. [Eveil du tourisme, p.15]

1857

20. 06. - First officiel ascent of the Grand Combin by Maurice and Benjamin Fellay and Juvence Bruchez. [Eveil du tourisme, p.79]

1860

An avalanche blocks the road between the two sections of Lourtier village, which is severely threatened. Gabbud]

1862-1863

Construction of the Hôtel du Glacier du Giétroz in Mauvoisin, an initiative of Doctor Carron, built by Jean-Maurice Bruchez and Eugène Besse. [Eveil du tourisme, p.20]

1865

The Grande Ecole (Bagnes college) is given to the Saint-Maurice Abbey [Deslarzes-May]

1868

Serious violence in Champsec, caused by poltiical and electoral disagreements [Gabbud]

1869

Construction of a mountain hut at the foot of Grand-Combin by Bagnes guides. Carried away by an avalanche shortly after completion. [Bayard, p. 72]

1870

01. 05. - The first post bus arrives in Le Châble (Sembrancher-Bagnes route) [Armorial valaisan]

1876

The municipal Government is elected, rather than being made up of nominations from different parts of Bagnes. Gabbud]

1877

The Bruson torrent again devastates the Profray countryside [Gabbud]

Fire in the hamlet of Les Vernays. 27 buildings burned down. [Gabbud]

1880

Spectacular arrival of the Liberal Party to municipal power. To a large extent this happens because some politicial figures are caught up in the Farinet affair. [Autorités]

Construction of the Lourtier and Bruson roads. [Gabbud]

1881

Construction of the Pannossière mountain hut by the Monte Rosa section of the Swiss Alpine Club. [Eveil du tourisme, p. 55]

1890

First recorded commercial use of two hotels in Fionnay. [Gazette du Valais, 1890, 42, p. 62]

Construction of the Chanrion mountain hut. [Eveil du tourisme, p. 62]

1892

Foundation of the Le Châble brass band, which becomes the "Avenir" music society. Centenaire et inauguration des costumes de l’Avenir, 1992]

1893

Foundation of the «Société de Saint-Joseph» which becomes the "Concordia" musi society. [Willy Ferrez, Accords et contre-temps, La Concordia 1893-1993, Sion, 1993]

1894

28. 06. - Glacial flood of the Crête-Sèche glacier. [Mariétan]

1896

 Foundation of the Champsec Youth Society.

1897

Foundation of the Bagnes Mutual Society. [Statuts de la Société de secours mutuel, Monthey, 1902]

1898

17. 07. - Another glacial flood of the Crête-Sèche glacier. Major damage to property. [Mariétan]

1900

Foundation of the Free School, which renounces religious teaching.[Deslarzes-May]

1902

Creation of the Tombeys electricity station (below Verbier). [Gabbud]

1905

The Grande Ecole is renamed the Bagnes College and becomes a public institution. Deslarzes-May]

1907

Foundation of the Bagnes Diana (hunting society) [75 ans de la Diana de Bagnes, 1982]

1908

Introduction of proportional representation to municipal elections. [Autorités, p. 111]

1923

Foundation of the Raiffeisen fund in Bagnes. [Carnet de fête du 75e, 1998]

First postal bus route from Sembrancher to Champsec. [Bagnes notre vallée]

1924

Foundation of the Providence Old People's Home.  [Berthod]

1925

Construction of the Mont-Fort mountain hut. [Eveil du tourisme]

1927

First recorded commercial use of the Mont-Fort and Rosablanche mountain huts (Verbier resort). [Deslarzes, p. 73]

Construction of the Fionnay road. [Val de Bagnes]

Foundation of the Bagnes ski-club

1928

Foundation of the first "montagne basse"  «La Ly, Sery». [ACBg, document non coté]

First colony of ibexes brought to the foot of Mont Pleureur. [Bagnes notre vallée, p. 105]

1929

Electrical station in Champsec operational. [Archives privées]

Fire in Lourtier. 43 buildings, including 20 houses, burned down. [ACBg, Protocole du conseil communal, 29 septembre 1929]

1932

Construction of the Bon-Conseil Church in Lourtier, designed by Alberto Sartoris. [Alberto Sartoris et le Valais, Martigny, 1983

Foundation of the choral society «Alpenrose» in Bruson.

1938

Foundation of the Sarreyer theatre group.

1949

Construction of the road to the Verbier plateau. [Deslarzes]

1950

Foundation of «Télésiège de Médran S.A.», precursor to today's Téléverbier. Deslarzes]

1951-1958

Construction of the Mauvoisin dam. Albert Maret]

1953

 Opening of the Martigny-Orsières line from Sembrancher to Châble. [Autorités, p. 121]

1956

 Foundation of the Bagnes Football Club.

1958

Foundation of the «La Fleur des Neiges» music society in Verbier.

1959

Creation of Bagnes «Services Industriels» [25 ans. Services industriels de Bagnes, 1984]

1962

Bruson-La Côt ski-lift operational  [Andan]

1963

Reorganisation of land plots by Constitutive assembly. [Autorités]

1964

Bruson chosen as typical mountain village for national Expo. [Agriculture romande, vol. 3, 1964, n. 5, 20 p.]

1967

Work on «Louvie-Pas-du-Lin» aqueduct completed. [25 ans. Services industriels de Bagnes, 1984]

1968

Number of municipal councillors reduced from 15 to 11. Autorités]

Upper Bagnes Valley classified as protected national site. [Bagnes notre vallée]

1972

Voting slips counted centrally, rather than at regional polling booths. [Autorités, p. 114]

1975

Municipal Government approves Bruson-les-Forêts development plan. [Nouvelliste 1975, 9]

1980

Fire at Bodmer "rotorderie" in  Montagnier. [Nouvelliste, 1980, 252]

1982

Le Chäble parish church restorations completed. [Gard, 1982]

1991

 Mauvoisiin Dam height raised by 13 metres. [Krafwerke Mauvoisin AG]

1999

Avalanches in Lourtier and Verbier. Major damage to buildings and property. [Nouvelliste, 1999, 43, p. 14]

2000

Bagnes en Fête.

2009

Bagnes buys, for 21 million francs, 284 161 shares in Téléverbier to become the largest shareholder, with 25,66 % of capital.

The Tour de France comes to Verbier for the first time, with a victory for Alberto Contador

Death of Maurice Chappaz.

2010

Florent Troillet crowned world Ski Mountaineering champion. His sister, Marie, part of winning ski-mountaineering World Championships team the following year.

2011

Bagnes hit by hurricane Joachim in December. A few days later, in January 2012, hurricane Andrea hits. Damage is greater than that following hurricane Lothar, in 1999.

Jean-Albert Ferrez is president of the Valais parliament for 1 year

2012

Creation of the Mauvoisin dam pathway and creation of "Tangential Circular Negative Line Sculpture", a Land Art sculpture by Michael Heizer, next to the dam.

2013

Opening of the new Espace Saint-Marc multi-purpose hall

Opening of the W Hotel in Verbier

Opening of the new Le Châble-Bruson gondola

© Design: www.laligne.ch / Production: www.axianet.ch